Tuesday, July 18, 2006

SEB'S WINTER VACATION IN CASTLEMAINE, JULY 2006

Patrick and Sebastian went on holiday for two weeks on the 5th of July, I was forced to stay behind for a variety of reasons. The following is a report of the first week, as documented by Patrick.
Telephone taxi about 11:15 am.

The taxi driver was a nigerian immigrated from England. He was very interested in Seb, and told me he wants a boy of his own. He has three daughters. Recons two kids is the right number (one not enough, three too complicated).

At airport

The flight is delayed one hour: it will arrive at 4:40 instead of 3:15. Qantas give us an eight dollar meal voucher to make up for the delay.

Much hassle getting through the metal detectors. I hand Seb to one of the security guards while I go back and forth throught the detector, each time shedding another article of clothing. The security guard is an older female employee, about 60 ish. She is obviously very happy to get hold of Seb (he doesn't seem to care). The problem turns out to be the mobile phone I forgot was in my pocket.
I finally get through security bathed in sweat and have to sit down for ten minutes to cool off.

Upstairs, we head for the fish and chips counter to consume the eight dollars. Seb enjoys the meal.

I telephone mother. It seems Laurie has already left, intending to tour the general region before picking us up. Mum tells me he has Joe's mobile phone, so I try to ring: no answer. I send him a text message that the arrival time will be 4:40.

Seb goes for a walk around the airport. He tries to get into every retail outlet and pull stuff off the shelves. The staff (always female) generally enjoy the pint-sized shopper. I do my best to keep him in the main aisle of the airport. He doesn't seem aware that others share that space, and has many people dodging around him.

The flight is not as delayed as they thought, and will arrive at 4:15. I send Laurie another text message.

On the aeroplane

The flight is full. I have to strap Seb to my lap, and he doesn't like it. During take off I give him his bottle of milk, which he socks back like there is no tomorrow.
His demeanor deteriorates with distance from Brisbane. I walk him down the aisle. We hang around toilets. Anything to escape the horror. I spot a box of apples in the staff area. Seb likes the apple, and the whining subsides mercifully. Back in the seat, Seb falles asleep during the descent to Melbourne. I carry him off the aeroplane.

Laurie
is waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs where he has been waiting for an hour. The car is parked in a half hour zone. He did not get my messages because he did not know how to turn on Joe's phone. We carry bags and sleeping infant to the car. No parking ticket!

Seb wakes up as soon as he is in the baby seat, and recommences the whining. The misery grows with distance from Melbourne. In desperation we stop at Woodend, and Laurie buys Seb some loillies. That didn't work. I suggest we find a supermarket and get some bananas. Banana in one hand, lollie stick in the other, the bawling reduces to a relatively tolerable, intermittant whining.

At Castlemaine, Seb's mood lightens as soon as he sees his grandma. He seems to remember. Within minutes of arrival he is telling her all about the trip. The cot is made up for him, and we both go to bed about 10 pm. Seb sleeps all night. I have to get up four times to put the covers back on him. It is freezing cold.

Next day

Seb makes it clear I must NEVER leave his sight. If I go to the toilet, have a shower, or leave the room for any reason at all, we incur a primeaval scream and a misery exhibition.

Joe, Seb and I take a trip into Bendigo to take the old dictionary to the book restorers. While there. I telephone my cousin Marg to find out what she wanted me to do about an old "table" in here garage (a good enough excuse for a visit, a cup of tea, and an escape form the freezing cold). After one look at Seb, Marg is hooked. For the next hour she repeats over and over what a "beautiful baby he is". Seb, in turn, loves her house: full of draws, shelves and stuff.

The "table" turns out to be vestiges of a ceder chest of draws: just the top and two draws. Marg is adamant it came from my Ward grandparents, and that I should retore it. (Another project to add to the list.)

The next few days

Life is pretty much indoors at Castlemaine, near the fire as it is too cold outside. Seb slowly lets go of his hold on me: letting me out of his sight for short bursts, as long as his gran or uncles are still around. He spends a lot of time with Laurie and the computer. He helps out a lot turning off the power supply and playing with the on switch. His favourite pastimes are "separate the DVDs from their cases" and "pull the VCRs out of the shelf". He has also talks on the phone, which can be a real phone or a remote control.

Outside, Seb checks out the garden. His main interest is the dog, Tommy. He follows Tommy up the back stairs, and next I hear a sack of potatoes roll down the stairs, followed by Seb's wail. I find him at the base of the stairs on his back, crying, and with three scratches on the right side of his face. I carry him around while he cries. When he sees the dog again he forgets his problems, and wants to get down to chase the dog again.

Following Tommy, Seb takes a liking to a dingo teddy bear. I succeed in teaching Seb to say "It's a doggie".

We visit Jason and Katrina. Seb gets on well with the other kids.There are many musical instruments there, and Seb gets his first exposure to cello and saxophone, and has his first bash at the keyboards. We hear piano renditions from Alex and Bead.

The weather is staring to warm a little during the day.
I film seb coming down the back stairs: on his belly, head first, one step at a time, very careful. I try to teach him to come down standing while holding the rail.

Anthony turns up on his motorbike, unexpectedly for a visit. He did not know we were there; just decided to go for a ride. We heard some gossip from Moonambel. No sooner had he arrived than he was back on the bike again.
The two adventurers return tomorrow evening. I'll be happy to have someone to talk to, even though I've got laryngitis and can't actually speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home